Mario Kart Online is a spin-off entry in the Mario Kart series available on PC and most mobile tablets. This entry in the series relies almost entirely on the online races and tournaments. It was first released on 16th December, 2016.
When booting up the game for the first time, the player is asked to create an account so their online statistics can be recorded. In this game, accounts are referred to as "Licenses".
- Super Light
- Super Heavy
Benefits for lighter characters include better acceleration and the ability to lose less speed when they go off-road.
Benefits for heavier characters include better top speed and the ability to knock lighter characters aside.
- Boost characters gain a bigger burst of speed from boost panels and items.
- Flight characters can release gliders from certain trick panels.
- Power characters can break through and destroy certain hazards. These hazrds will stun other characters.
- Swim characters can drive underwater. Other characters will have to be rescued by Lakitu if they fall into water.
|King K. Rool||
| Mini Bowser|
(Koopa Kid in North America)
- Brighton: Guide for the offline modes.
- Twila: Guide for the online modes.
- Lakitu: Acts as the referee.
- White Koopa Troopa: A racer that can only be used by computer players. They have the same properties as Koopa.
The Thunder Cup and Special Cups are unlockable cups, whilst the other five are available from the start.
Each of the seven cups appear to be based off a certain theme:
- Mushroom Cup is based off areas where Mario and his friends live.
- Fire Cup takes place in hot areas.
- Star Cup features futuristic courses.
- Shell Cup's tracks take place where a selection enemies live.
- POW Cup features party and carnival-themed courses.
- Thunder Cup contains courses with a scary nature.
- Special Cup appears to feature tracks of a miscellaneous nature.
Grand Prix features the player racing on four different tracks against up to ten computer players.
A player’s point count will never drop below zero.
Sandbox Race features the player and three White Koopa Troopas. Here, the player has access to unlimited supplies of every normal item in the game, and, in the pause menu, can change the behaviour of the White Koopa Troopas. The mode is supposed to be used to practice racing.
- Balloon Battle - Everybody has three balloons, with each item they hit taking a balloon away. Lose all your balloons, and you are out!
- Score Battle - Everytime you hit an opponent, you gain a point. Have the most points when time runs out to win.
- Coin Battle - Coins are scattered around the arena! Hoard the most when time runs out to win.
- Ghost Battle - One player is infected by a ghost! The ghost player has a minute to catch as many opponents as possible, turning them into ghosts. Anybody who is not infected when time runs out is the winner!
|Mushroom Cup||Online Mode||Toadette||Pianta||N/A|
|Fire Cup||Dry Bones||Diddy Kong||King K. Rool||N/A|
|Star Cup||Daisy||Bowser Jr.||Funky Kong||N/A|
|Shell Cup||Hammer Bro.||Shy Guy||Paratroopa||Petey Piranha|
|POW Cup||Waluigi||Thunder Cup||Mini Bowser||MC Ballyhoo|
|Thunder Cup||King Boo||150cc||Special Cup||Tatanga|
|Special Cup||Rosalina||Raphael||Mirror||Robo Mario|
Online Grand Prix
Online Grand Prix features 6-13 players competing in four different tracks. Everybody votes for which track to race on, which is chosen randomly by the "Race Roulette".
After four races, the top five will receive "Online Cups".
If there are less than six racers, the empty slots are filled up by White Koopa Troopa CPUs set to Easy. These will also replace players who disconnect in the middle of an Online Grand Prix.
Occasionally, players will be sent to a Team Online Grand Prix, which can include two, three or four teams. Players can be assigned to Team Red, Team Blue, Team Green or Team Yellow. There is also never an uneven amount of players on each team.
Online GP Point System
Quick Race assigns up to thirteen random players to a random track on a random engine class.
Quick Battle assigns up to thirteen random players to a random battle track. A random battle game is also chosen.
Special Races include new elements to regular races. There are several different types of Special Races, including:
- Competitive Race - No items at all, most hazards turned off, simply pure racing goodness!
- Chaotic Race - Just a regular race... but not really! In Chaotic Races, any character can get any item in any place!
- Indefinite Race - Nobody knows how many laps there are, so finishing every lap in first is important!
- Speedy Race - Everybody has an unlimited supply of Dash Mushrooms! There is no way for characters to lose their Dash Mushroom, as they have infinite supplies, and hazards which usually cause players to lose their items now don’t.
- Backwards Race - Race on the tracks as usual, only in backwards! Due to the nature of this type of race, some tracks cannot be raced on.
- Elimination Race - A typical race, except the last person to finish each lap (or part of a track) is eliminated from the race entirely! This continues until there is only one person left.
Friend Room allows the player to play with up to twelve of their friends. Here the group can do a variety of things include:
- Friend Grand Prix - Compete with your friends in a four-track Grand Prix!
- Team Friend GP - Team up with your friends so you can win the trophy together!
Tournaments are competitions hosted by Nintendo about twice or three times a month.
In the Online Modes menu, one can see a slot machine. The player can use coins they collected in races (the player will only gain the amount of coins they finish with) to spin the slot machine. Getting a three in a row will give the player a Power Orb.
All characters can receive normal items.
|Boo||Steals an item from a random opponent and gives it to the player. During the process that the player is stealing an item, they are invisible, and immune to all items and hazards.|
|Bob-Omb||Tossed forward or backwards. Causes a large explosion a few seconds after landing, sending anybody in its blast flying.|
|Dash Mushroom||Gives its user a short burst of speed. During the burst of speed, the player can pass through all types of terrain without losing speed.|
|Double Dash Mushroom||Gives the user two Dash Mushrooms to use.|
|Triple Dash Mushroom||Gives the user three Dash Mushrooms to use.|
|Banana Peel||Can be either placed behind or thrown added by its user. Any player who touches the peel spins out. The peel also vanishes if it collides with a player or another item.|
|Mini Banana Bunch||Gives the user three Banana Peels to use.|
|Green Shell||Can be thrown in a straight line in front or behind its user. The shell will bounce off walls until it hits a player, causing them to get stunned. The shell breaks apart if it hits a player or another item.|
|Double Green Shell||Gives the user two Green Shells to use.|
|Triple Green Shell||Gives the user three Green Shells to use.|
|Red Shell||Can be thrown in front of or behind its user. Acts similarly to its green counterpart, with the main difference being that, if it is thrown forward, it will lock onto another player.|
|Double Red Shell||Gives the user two Red Shells to use.|
|Triple Red Shell||Gives the user three Red Shells to use.|
|Spiny Shell||Once released, it will target the player currently in first. That player and anybody around them will be caught in a exploding surprise!|
|Heart||Allows the player to collect an item on the ground and use it.|
|Mario Coin||Holding this coin will allow the player to use it to "buy" shortcuts, allowing them to skip portions of a track. Alternatively, the player can use up the coin for a speed boost (which is about half the burst of a Dash Mushroom).|
Only certain characters can receive special items, though characters who generally cannot receive these items can still steal them using the Boo item.
|Bomb Shell|| Acts as a normal Green Shell, but once it hits a player or item, it explodes!
Bowser, Bowser Jr., Mini Bowser, Wario, Waluigi, King K. Rool and Tatanga can receive this item.
|Explosive Peel|| Acts just like a regular Banana Peel, but explodes once it collides with something!
Wario and Waluigi can receive this item.
|Fireball|| Thrown forward in a straight line, bounces off walls, and stuns anybody who it hits for a short period of time.
Mario, Luigi and Robo Mario can receive this item.
|Golden Mushroom|| Acts just like a regular Dash Mushroom, but has unlimited uses for a short period of time.
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad and Toadette can receive this item.
|Hammer|| Thrown forwards or backwards, sending a shockwave stunning any opponents in its radius.
Wario, Hammer Bro, E. Gadd and Tatanga can receive this item.
|Hoover|| For about 5 seconds, the player can suck up any items in their way.
Luigi and E. Gadd can receive this item.
|Magic Hat|| Turns itself into an item another player is currently holding.
Waluigi, King Boo and MC Ballyhoo can receive this item.
|Mega Banana Bunch|| Gives the user five Banana Peels to use.
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Funky Kong can receive this item.
|Mega Heart|| Allows the player to collect up to three items on the ground and use them.
Peach, Birdo, Daisy, Petey Piranha and Rosalina can receive this item.
|Mushroom Dice|| The player hits a dice which can give them 1-6 Dash Mushrooms.
Daisy, Waluigi, Dry Bones, Hammer Bro., MC Ballyhoo, Mini Bowser, Robo Mario and Marty can receive this item.
|Rainbow Shell|| Gives its user three Green Shells and three Red Shells.
Koopa, Paratroopa, Dry Bones, Bowser and Bowser Jr. can receive this item.
|Volcano Seed|| Can be thrown forwards or backwards. Causes a miniature volcano to appear for a few seconds, which emits a few fireballs onto the field.
Pianta and King K. Rool can receive this item.
|Yoshi Egg|| Locks onto an enemy and gives the player a common item on contact.
Yoshi, Birdo and Shy Guy can receive this item.
Players are asked at the start of every online race if they want to use any of their Power Orbs. Whilst there is no limit to the amount of Power Orbs the player can have in their inventory, they can only bring up to four Power Orbs into an Online Grand Prix.
|Power Orb Colour||Description|
|Red||Begin the race with a Dash Mushroom!|
|Orange||The speed of your items will slightly increase!|
|Yellow||Begin the race with a Banana Peel!|
|Lime||You will receive special items more often!|
|Green||Items will stun you for slightly less time!|
|Turquoise||You are immune to the Boo item, but you cannot collect it either!|
|White||Begin the race with a Mario Coin!|
- This game features the return of many characters in the Mario series who have been absent for many years:
- This is Marty's first appearance since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.
- This is MC Ballyhoo's first appearance since Mario Party 8 in 2007.
- This is Mini Bowser's first appearance since Mario Party 7 in 2005.
- This is Brighton and Twila's first appearance since Mario Party 6 in 2004.
- This is Tatanga's first appearance since Super Mario Land 2: The 6 Golden Coins in 1992.
- Finishing from 2nd to 6th triggers the "Moderate" results, whilst finishing from 7th to 13th triggers the "Losing" results.
- Coming in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th can also trigger "Losing" results if that is the lowest possible rank in the race.